Golden Visa – Spain residence permit for Non-EU citizens
After approval by both Houses of the Spanish Parliament and publication in the Bank of Spain’s Official Gazette, the new law allowing non-EU investors to apply for Spanish residency.
FINDING YOUR PERFECT SPANISH HOME OR INVESTMENT
We recommend you spend at least two, three days viewing properties. When your decision is to go ahead and buy, you just pay a holding deposit down to take the property off the market. Normally € 5- 10,000.
ESSENTIAL RULES OF SPANISH INVESTMENT VISA:
- The minimum investment must be at € 500,000.
- On top of the amount of investment you need to add 11 – 12%, which goes to the purchase cost, including tax, stamp duty, VAT, notary and lawyer.
- Investments may be spread over several properties for a total purchase price of at least € 500,000.
- You can do your investment via a foreign company if you can prove that you own the majority of this company.
- There is a certain flexibility to borrow part of the money you need from your home country or from a country outside Spain.
- Spanish residence visas may be issued to the immediate family, including spouse and children up to 18 years.
- The Act also includes your children over 18 years old who, due to health issues, are not objectively capable of looking after themselves..
- There is no requirement for minimum stays ordering to renew the visa. This means that it is optional to stay in Spain.
- The Spanish visa does not need to be renewed within five years.
- As there is no law on minimum stay is not necessary to be tax resident.
- Permanent residence can be granted after five years if you have followed the rules.
- Your property investment can be sold after five years when you have achieved permanent residency.
- The visa allows access to unlimited travel throughout the EU Schengen visa countries.
- The entire application procedure for investment visa applicants will not take more than twenty days.
- Investments must be documented before applying for Spanish investment visa.
- Refusal of Spanish investment visa will usually only be justified by an unclean criminal record.
- Spanish citizenship will be given after an additional five years of permanent residency.
- The applicant must be able to prove that having traveled to Spain at least once in the first two years, and once more in the three subsequent years.
- While a Spanish citizen you automatically get an European citizenship.
- After this time (2 x 5 years), the family can live, work or study anywhere in Europe within the EU.
- A recommended lawyer will take care of the application for residence, and the full Golden Visa program, residence for the family, etc. The totally cost for this is € 1,500 + 21% VAT.
THE APPLICANT MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Not to have entered or stayed illegally in Spanish territory.
- Have to be 18 years or over.
- Not to have been refused entry in any of the Schengen countries.
- Have public or private health insurance authorized to operate in Spain.
- Have sufficient economic means to cover personal and family living expenses.
- Proof of the investment must be made through a Registry of Property certificate attesting ownership. Or, if the ownership title is not yet registered, via a copy of the acquisition public deed and proof of filing the deed in the Registry.
Residency in Spain is granted under the new investor visa for investors spending a minimum of 500,000 Euros on a real estate property purchase. Residency means the right to live in Spain and travel freely to Spain which is within the Schengen visa area of Europe. It does not grant citizenship, which can be applied for at a later date. Citizenship in Spain can lead to residency in other European countries.
Residency in Spain under the golden investor visa program allows a real estate investor and his or her immediate family to live in Spain. The legislation has no minimum period of residence. Hence an investor can buy a property in Spain, travel freely to Spain at any point and his or her family can do the same. The family can live in Spain permanently, with access to schools both state and private following the English curriculum. Eventually citizenship can grant access to study elsewhere at universities in Europe including the UK.
The objective of the law is to attract entrepreneurs to Spain, and stimulate foreign investment in Spanish real estate, public debt, and job creation.
This law enables non-EU nationals to get qualified residency permits in return for investing in Spanish real estate (and other assets), leading to long-term residency in Spain if certain conditions are fulfilled. The key points of the draft law are summarised in this section.
Spanish residency and visa-free travel in Europe for non-EU nationals
Spanish residency, and the ability to travel freely in the European Schengen area (for 90 out of every 180 days), will be a major attraction for many non-EU investors. Added to which, Spanish property prices have crashed into bargain territory, creating some excellent investment opportunities. It’s an attractive combination of residency and bargain prices for investors from outside the EU.
Spanish Golden Visa can be obtained for Non EU citizens with a minimum investment of 500.000 € in real estate, or a business investment.